I Need Access to a Shared Email Account and/or Shared Calendar
Many departments make use of one or more shared mailboxes. These mailboxes have been configured so that all of the appropriate people automatically have these added to their outlook clients. If you have need to access a mailbox that you do not appear to have, a request add this folder to their Outlook client. should be made by the owner of the mailbox.
I Need Access to Another Person's Email Mailbox and/or Calendar
Access to view and/or control another employee's mailbox and calendar is granted by them. If someone wishes to grant you such access, please have that user see the following article Allow Someone Else to Manage Your Mail and Calendar (Delegate Access) – UCLA Extension (zendesk.com)
Once access has been granted, instructions for adding the mailbox are listed below.
Add a Shared Mailbox to your Outlook Desktop Client
These steps can also be used to add a shared mailbox or when someone has granted you delegate access to their mailbox.
1. Within your Outlook account navigate to File > Info > Account Settings > Account Settings.
2. Highlight your Microsoft Exchange account and click the Change button.
3. Click the More Settings option.
4. Within the Microsoft Exchange Window click the Advanced Tab.
5. Under the Mailboxes section click the Add button to add the additional mailbox you have access to.
6. In the Add Mailbox window type the name of the mailbox you wish to add. Enter the email address of the shared mailbox.
7. Click OK.
8. Make sure your additional mailbox is listed in the advanced tab.
9. Click OK.
10. Click NEXT.
11. Click DONE.
Please note: At this point, you may be prompted to restart Outlook.
Click Close on the Account Settings
12. Close and re-start Outlook.
12. When you have re-started outlook, Click on the Mail button in the Navigation pane. In the folder list, you will see the additional account you just added underneath your own.
To expand the new account and display the additional folders that you were given access rights to, click the small triangle next to the mailbox name
If you receive an error that you "cannot expand the folder" when you click on the small triangle, then you may not have the appropriate permissions to access that mailbox. Please check you permissions and steps above again and contact the Help Desk if you have any problems.
Add a Shared Calendar to your Outlook Desktop Client
These steps can also be used to add shared calendars and public equipment and meeting rooms or when someone has granted you access to their email calendar.
1. Within the Outlook Desktop application navigate to the calendar
2. Select option to "Add Calendar" from the top ribbon. You can select "From Address Book" to open people's calendars and public calendar's
3. Verify the address book is set to "Global Address List".
4. Enter the name of the calendar you wish to sync. (e.g. UNEX Education), you may need to confirm the email address if there are conflicting names.
5. After pressing OK you will see all selected calendars grouped or added to your shared group.
6. You can move the calendars or customize the name of the group
How to Send an Email From a Shared Mailbox
These steps only work once permission to send on behalf of the shared mailbox have been granted. Not all shared mailbox permissions are granted equally. Permissions vary from mailbox to mailbox.
1. Open a new email.
2. If you do not see a drop down menu for "From" atop the email, choose the following icon to enable From view. This option appears in the Options tab of a new email.
3. Using the from drop down, you may need to add the new email address to send from. Choose the "Other Email Address" option in the "From" drop down.
4. Type in the email address you have been given permission to send from. Once selected, it will need typed in manually in future emails.